According to the regulations of the State of Vietnam, except for cases of visa-free entry, foreign citizens must apply for a visa if they want to enter Vietnam. Let’s find out more information about the conditions, procedures, and fees to apply for a Vietnam visa.
Information about Vietnam visa
What is Vietnam visa? – This is a common question for customers who apply for a visa that allows foreigners to enter Vietnam for the first time.
Vietnam visa is a “ticket” for foreign citizens to enter Vietnam for the purpose of traveling, working, investing, visiting relatives, studying abroad, etc. If foreign citizens can’t show their passports and visa to enter Vietnam, they will be considered as illegal entry.
Types of visas to enter Vietnam
According to the Law No. 51/2019/QH14, effective from July 01, 2020, there are 21 main categories: LĐ1, LĐ2, DN1, DN2, DL, DH, ĐT1, ĐT2, ĐT3, ĐT4, TT, VR, SQ, NG, etc. depending on the entry purpose, duration, and the place receiving the visa.
Visa classification (Based on the entry purpose)
Some common types of Vietnam entry visas classified based on specific entry purpose include:
- Tourist Visa (DL)
- Commercial, Business Visa (DN1, DN2)
- Work Visa (LĐ1, LĐ2)
- Relative Visit Visa (TT, VR)
- Investment Visa (ĐT1, ĐT2, ĐT3, ĐT4)
- Student Visa (DH)
- Electronic Visa (EV)
Other types of Vietnam visa, including:
- Visa NG1, Visa NG2, Visa NG3, Visa NG4: Issued to members of diplomatic missions.
- Visa LV1, Visa LV2: Issued to foreigners who enter Vietnam to work in agencies and units directly under the central government.
- Visa LS: Issued to foreign lawyers practicing in Vietnam
- Visa NN1, Visa NN2: Issued to heads of representative offices, branches, and projects of foreign organizations and individuals in Vietnam.
- Visa NN3: Issued to foreigners to work with foreign non-governmental organizations, representative offices, branches of foreign organizations, etc. in Vietnam.
- Visa HN: Issued to people attending conferences and seminars.
- Visa PV1, Visa PV2: Issued to reporters, journalists permanently residing / working short-term in Vietnam.
- Visa SQ: Issued to the cases specified in Clause 3, Article 17 of Law No. 47/2014/QH13.
Visa Classification (Based on the number of entries)
Based on the number of entries, Vietnam visa may be classified into:
Single entry visa:
- 1-month single entry visa
- 3-month single entry visa
With a single entry visa, you are only allowed to enter/ exit once; After you exit Vietnam, the visa will no longer be valid, and you have to apply for a new visa for later entry.
Multiple entry visa:
- 1-month multiple entry visa
- 3-month multiple entry visa
- 6-month multiple entry visa
- 12-month multiple entry visa
- 2-year multiple entry visa
- 5-year multiple entry visa
With a Vietnam multiple entry visa, customers will be able to enter and exit Vietnam many times during the visa’s validity period.
Conditions for applying for Vietnam entry visa
Conditions for granting Vietnam visas to foreigners.
- Having a passport or valid international travel document.
- Receive an invitation or be sponsored by the agencies, organizations, and individuals in Vietnam. Except for the following cases: Issuing an electronic visa at the request of a foreigner/at the request of an agency or organization; Or issuing a visa at a Vietnamese visa-issuing authority abroad.
- Not be subject to such cases of entry denial.
- In the following cases, documents proving the purpose of entry are required:
a) Foreigners entering the country for investment must have papers proving their investment in Vietnam;
b) Foreigners who are law practitioners in Vietnam must have a law practicing certificate;
c) Foreigners entering the country for working must have a work permit;
d) Foreigners entering the country for studying must have a written admission from the Vietnamese school or educational institution.
- E-visas are issued to foreigners who have passports and are not eligible for diplomatic visas (NG1, NG2, NG3, NG4).
How to apply for a Vietnam visa?
There are 02 popular ways to apply for a Vietnam visa for foreign citizens:
- Submitting the application form for Vietnam visa at the Consular Generate of Vietnam in the foreign country. This will take a lot of time and complicated procedures.
- Submitting the application form for Vietnam visa at the prestige and experience agency. After that, you can receive the visa at the Vietnam international airport border gate or at the Consular Generate of Vietnam in the foreign country. However, to get Vietnam visa by this way, you must obtain the Entry Approval Letter.
Usually, foreigners don’t have to get visa at the Immigration Department. The foreigners may contact a recognized and licensed international travel service company in Vietnam to assist with the visa application. This will be convenient and quick for those who don’t know much about Vietnamese legal procedures.
Vietnam visa: Procedures at the Immigration Department
To apply for Vietnam visa at the Immigration Department, it is mandatory to get an invitation from an individual, organization or enterprise. Applying for an entry approval letter is the first important procedure to perform.
Step 1: Apply for Vietnam entry approval letter.
Foreigners or individuals or businesses shall only be required to provide basic information, such as:
- Full name, Date of birth,
- Passport number or color scanned copy of passport’s photo page,
- Date of entry,
- Location of visa receipt,
- Some forms on request.
The immigration service company will prepare documents to apply for an Entry Approval Letter at the Vietnam Immigration Department. After the application is successfully approved, the service agency will send an Entry Approval Letter via email to the foreigners or the sponsoring individuals or enterprises.
Step 2: Stamping visa procedures at Vietnam international border gate.
Upon receiving the Entry approval letter, the foreigner shall prepare the following documents: Original Passport, Entry approval letter (printed), 02 4x6 photos and fill out the Declaration Form for Visa at the international border gate.
At Vietnam’s international border gate, foreigners shall pay fees and have Vietnam entry visa stamped.
Note: During the epidemic prevention period, Vietnamese Government has strict requirements on Vietnam entry procedures for foreigners. Please contact Nhi Gia at [+84] 1900 6654 to know how to apply for a Vietnam visa as directed by the Government.
Vietnam visa application fee
Foreigners must pay the fee to apply for a new visa or renew a visa as prescribed in the Circular No. 25/2021/TT-BTC. This is a mandatory fee which is paid to the Immigration agency/Diplomatic mission of Vietnam in the foreign country when you carry out the procedures for Vietnam visa application/visa renewal.
Type of visa
Single entry visa
(1-month single entry visa, 3-month single entry visa)
Issuing a visa valid for multiple times:
Visa types with validity of no more than 03 months
(3-month multiple entry visa)
Visa types with validity from more than 3 to 6 months
(over 3 - 6 months multiple entry visa)
Visa types with validity from more than 06 months to 12 months
(6 months - 1-year multiple entry visa)
Visa types with validity from 12 months to 02 years
(1 - 2 years multiple entry visa)
Visa types with validity from over 02 years to 05 years
(2 - 5 years multiple entry visa)
Visas for people under 14 years old
(Regardless of duration)
Besides paying the mandatory state fees, foreigners need to pay additional fees such as fees for application preparation, notarized translation, Consular Legalization of documents, etc.
Symbol and duration of Vietnam Visa
- Visa SQ, EV: Valid for no more than 30 days.
- Visa HN, DL: Valid for no more than 03 months.
- Visa VR: Valid for no more than 06 months.
- Visa with symbols NG1, NG2, NG3, NG4, LV1, LV2, ĐT4, DN1, DN2, NN1, NN2, NN3, DH, PV1, PV2 and TT: Valid for no more than 12 months.
- Visa LĐ1, LĐ2: Valid for no more than 02 years.
- Visa ĐT3: Valid for no more than 3 years.
- Visa LS, ĐT1, ĐT2: Valid for no more than 5 years.
Frequently asked questions
Question - I want to use Vietnam visa service at Nhi Gia Company, what papers should I prepare?
Answer - You need to prepare all the documents below:
- Scanned copy of passport information page.
- Intended date of arrival in Vietnam.
- Number of days intended to stay in Vietnam.
- Place of receiving visa (Vietnamese consular office/Vietnam border gate).
- Guarantee documents: Business license, seal sample registration license (certified copy).
Nhi Gia will support you to prepare other papers after you signed and stamped them.
Question - What do I need to prepare to apply for a Vietnam visa at the Vietnam international border gate?
Answer - You need to prepare all the documents below:
- Passport (valid for at least 6 months).
- Entry approval letter.
- Fill out the form according to the instructions of the immigration officer at the airport.
- Pay the visa fee at the airport according to regulations.
Professional Vietnam visa services
When conducting procedures to apply for Vietnam visa, enterprises (employers) must understand the legal procedures and know how to explain them to the state agency in the interview. In case you want to enter immediately, you must give a legitimate reason. However, it is better to find a professional service provider to save time, effort and cost.
Choose Nhi Gia’s Vietnam entry visa application services for the following reasons:
- Prestige: With almost 20 years of experience in this field, we are a reliable and long-term partner of +5,000 businesses in Vietnam.
- Having successfully implemented +1,000,000 applications.
- Handling all cases of documents and nationalities.
- Committing to approval rate – quick time – competitive fees.
- Processing in only 2-3 days, even processing urgently in 1 day.
- Free consultation: The provisions of the law on visa issuance, and related documents.
We hope the information about Vietnam visa will be useful to organizations and businesses. Please contact us directly at [+84] 1900 6654 or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with procedures for Vietnam visa.