Except for foreigners from countries that are exempt from visas as prescribed by law, other foreigners are required to have a visa to enter Vietnam. For each entry purpose, there will be a corresponding type of visa. So how long is the term of each type of Vietnam visa?
Table of Contents
What is Vietnam entry visa?
Vietnam visa is a document issued by the competent agencies of Vietnam, which allows a foreigner to enter and stay in Vietnam within a specified period of time.
Competent agencies to grant Vietnam visas:
+ Vietnamese embassies/consulates in other countries.
+ Vietnam Immigration Department.
Visa for entry into Vietnam is granted in either of the following two forms:
+ Visa stamped on the passport.
+ Separate visa.
Vietnam visa term according to the regulations
According to the new regulations of the Law No. 51/2019/QH14 amending and supplementing a number of articles of the Law on entry, exit, transit and residence of foreigners in Vietnam, effective from July 01, 2020, Vietnam visas are currently classified into 21 categories:
- LV1, LV2: Granted to foreigners who come to Vietnam to work at the agencies and units directly under the Central Government. Valid up to 12 months.
- NG1, NG2, NG3, NG4: Granted to members of diplomatic missions. Valid up to 12 months.
- DN1, DN2: Granted to people who come to work at Vietnamese enterprises. Valid up to 12 months.
- ĐT1, ĐT2, ĐT3, ĐT4: Granted to foreigners to invest in Vietnam. Valid up to 5 years.
- NN1, NN2: Granted to heads of representative offices, branches, projects of organizations and foreigners in Vietnam. Valid up to 12 months.
- NN3: Granted to foreigners who come to work at foreign non-governmental organizations, representative offices, branches of foreign organizations, etc. in Vietnam. Valid up to 12 months.
- HN: Granted to people who come to attend seminars and conferences in Vietnam. Valid up to 3 months.
- DH: Granted to people who come to study and have internship. Valid up to 12 months.
- PV: Granted to correspondents in Vietnam. Valid up to 12 months.
- PV2: Granted to journalists and reporters working for a short term in Vietnam: Valid up to 12 months.
- DL: Granted to foreigners who come to Vietnam to travel. Valid up to 3 months.
- LĐ1, LĐ2: Granted to foreigners who come to work in Vietnam. Valid up to 2 years.
- TT: Granted to foreigners who are spouses, children under 18 years old of foreigners granted with LV1, LV2, ĐT, NN1, NN2, DH, PV1, LĐ visas, or foreigners who are relatives (parents, spouses, children) of the Vietnamese citizens. Valid up to 12 months.
- VR: Granted to foreigners to visit relatives or other purposes. Valid up to 6 months.
Conditions for foreigners to enter Vietnam
The foreigners can enter Vietnam when fully meeting the following conditions:
- Passport or international travel document and Vietnam visa.
For a foreigner who enters Vietnam under the class of unilateral visa exemption, the remaining validity term of his/her passport must be at least 6 months and must be at least 30 days away from the time of previous exit to Vietnam;
- Not subject to cases of ineligibility for entry as stated in Article 21 of the Law on entry, exit, transit, and residence of foreigners in Vietnam No. 47/2014/QH2013, including:
+ Children under 14 years old without a parent, guardian or authorized person.
+ Falsifying papers, making false declarations to be granted valid papers for entry, exit or residence.
+ People suffering from mental diseases or infectious diseases that endanger the public health.
+ Being expelled from Vietnam for less than 3 years from the effective date of the expulsion decision.
+ Being forced to exit from Vietnam less than 6 months from the effective date of the forced exit decision.
+ To prevent and control epidemic.
+ Due to natural disaster.
+ For national defense, security, social order and safety.
Above are useful information about Vietnam visa term. If you want to know more about services of Vietnam visas, temporary residence cards or permits for foreigners, please contact us on hotline 84 1900 6654.
- Vietnam introduces vaccine passport form
- Vietnam reopens 9 regular international air routes from January 01, 2022
- Officially shortening the quarantine period to 3 days for people entering Vietnam who have been fully vaccinated for Covid-19
- List of concentrated quarantine hotels with charge in Ho Chi Minh City (updated on November 30, 2021)
- The U.S., the U.K., Japan and Belarus have officially accepted Vietnam's vaccine passports