What is a temporary residence card renewal - before the temporary residence card expires, companies/enterprises that employ foreigners need to renew their temporary residence card, in order to prolong their legal stay in Vietnam. Foreigners should avoid staying longer than the validity of the temporary residence card, or they can be administratively sanctioned, more serious, they can be criminally handled and deported back to their home country.
Table of Contents
- Subjects to be considered for temporary residence card renewal
- Cases which are not allowed to renew the temporary residence card
- Procedures to apply for a temporary residence card renewal
- Fee for renewal of temporary residence card for foreigners
- Reputable temporary residence card renewal services nationwide
Subjects to be considered for temporary residence card renewal
According to the new Immigration Law taking effect from July 01, 2020, temporary residence cards are valid for up to 10 years for investors. Depending on the subject and purpose of entry, the validity of the temporary residence card is also different.
- Foreign investors in Vietnam, the remaining validity of the investment certificate is at least 01 year.
- Heads of offices of non-governmental organizations, the remaining validity of the operation license is at least 01 year.
- Foreign workers who already have a work permit or work permit exemption certificate, and the remaining validity of the work permit is at least 01 year.
*Note: The term "temporary residence card renewal" is no longer used in Vietnamese law. Instead, when the temporary residence card is about to expire, foreigners need to carry out the procedures for applying for a new temporary residence card with the same documents and procedures as the first time the temporary residence card is issued.
However, due to familiarity, most foreigners and customers still use the phrase "renewal of temporary residence card for foreigners" instead of applying for a new temporary residence card when this type of paper is about to expire.
Cases which are not allowed to renew the temporary residence card
- Foreigners with valid temporary residence cards but being lost or damaged. In this case, the foreigner needs to prepare documents to apply for a new temporary residence card, along with reasons for loss or damage.
- Foreigners obtaining passports with the remaining validity less than 1 year.
- The duration of the temporary residence card is at least 01 month shorter than that of the passport.
Procedures to apply for a temporary residence card renewal
Until now, the Law on Entry, Exit, Transit, and Residence of Foreigners in Vietnam does not stipulate how many days in advance to renew the temporary residence card. Therefore, before the temporary residence card expires, individuals and sponsoring businesses need to carry out procedures to apply for renewing the same for foreigners.
Application for renewal of temporary residence card for foreigners
Foreigners and guarantors need to prepare all the following documents:
- Written request for renewal of temporary residence card for foreigners;
- Original passport, valid for more than 13 months;
- The old temporary residence card which has been issued before;
- 2 2x3 photos on white background;
- Certificate of temporary residence or temporary residence declaration book stamped by the Commune or Ward Police;
- Vietnam work permit, or documents related to the work of foreigners in Vietnam, such as decisions on appointment to hold a position in the company. Extension of temporary residence card for foreign investors: investment certificate, business registration certificate. Extension of temporary residence card to visit relatives: documents proving the relationship.
- Some other documents at the specific request of the Immigration Department (if any).
What are the conditions for renewing temporary residence card for foreigners?
Applications for renewal of temporary residence card for foreigners will be considered when the following conditions are met:
- Foreigners' passports must be valid for at least 13 months.
- Have a certificate of temporary residence registration in the commune or ward where the foreigner is staying.
- Foreigners must ensure stable business and labor conditions in Vietnam.
- For foreigners working in Vietnam, the work permit must be valid for more than 1 year. For foreign investors in Vietnam, their full information must be registered in the business registration certificate.
- Foreigners shall not violate any regulations on immigration management in Vietnam and strictly comply with the obligations to declare temporary residence at the current place of residence.
Application processing time
If your application is eligible, you will be issued a new temporary residence card within 7 working days (excluding Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays).
In case the foreigners need to renew their temporary residence card urgently, please contact Nhi Gia company at hotline: 84 1900 6654 for the most detailed advice and support.
Fee for renewal of temporary residence card for foreigners
Fees for new issuance of temporary residence cards or for renewal of temporary residence cards are regulated as follows:
+ Temporary residence card with validity from 01 year to 02 years: 145 USD/card.
+ Temporary residence card with validity from 02 years to 05 years: 155 USD/card.
This is a mandatory fee to be paid to state agencies.
Reputable temporary residence card renewal services nationwide
Difficulties in preparing documents to apply for a temporary residence card and having to explain to state officials about the documents are major barriers for any customer when carrying out the renewal procedures. However, the good news is that you can completely solve these difficulties by using Nhi Gia's professional temporary residence card renewal services.
As the leading prestigious application processing unit in Vietnam, Nhi Gia is highly appreciated by customers across the country for its service quality and professional working style. With more than 15 years of experience in handling +350,000 cases, coming to Nhi Gia, you will:
- Get free consultation and support for necessary procedures for quick and simple renewal.
- Nhi Gia will act on behalf of customers to submit documents and receive cards, then deliver them to customers’ hands.
- Save maximum customers’ effort as well as time
- In addition, we also support foreigners to apply for entry documents, Vietnam visas renewal, work permits application, as well as procedures with foreign elements, etc.
For more information about the temporary residence card renewal services, please contact Nhi Gia Company immediately at hotline: 84 1900 6654 or email@example.com for the fastest advice and support.
- Vietnam introduces vaccine passport form
- Vietnam reopens 9 regular international air routes from January 01, 2022
- Officially shortening the quarantine period to 3 days for people entering Vietnam who have been fully vaccinated for Covid-19
- List of concentrated quarantine hotels with charge in Ho Chi Minh City (updated on November 30, 2021)
- The U.S., the U.K., Japan and Belarus have officially accepted Vietnam's vaccine passports