Spouse of a U.S. Citizen Visa - Visa CR1 and Visa IR1

Date Create: 03/02/2023

Spouse of a U.S. Citizen Visa (visa CR1 and visa IR1) is popular for people who are US citizens or permanent residents who want to guarantee their foreign spouse. People who are guaranteed will receive a green card for 2 years or 10 years. The information below will help you to know more about detailed information about this visa:

What are Visa CR1 and Visa IR1?

Visa CR1 and Visa IR1 are visas that allow people who are US citizens or permanent residents to guarantee their legal spouses. This will help the spouses settle in the US.

  • Visa CR1 (CR means Conditional Resident): A spouse who married for under 2 years can apply for this visa. Visa CR1 which means Green Card has a duration of 2 years. However, if you want to apply for a Green Card having a duration of 10 years, you have to conduct a Visa CR1 removal procedure.
  • Visa IR1 (IR means Immediate Relative):  A spouse who has been married for over 2 years can apply for this visa. People who are issued Visa IR1 will have a Green Card with a duration of 10 years.

All immigrant visa applicants must pay the required USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) immigration fees before coming to the United States.

Conditions to guarantee the spouse 

If you want to guarantee your spouse under Visa CR1/ IR1, you need to meet the following conditions:

  • The guarantor is a US citizen or permanent resident.
  • The guarantor is 18 years old and up.
  • The applicant and guarantor have already legally married following the regulations of Law. 
  • The applicant must meet the financial condition according to USCIS regulations. 

Application form for the Spouse of a U.S. Citizen Visa (Visa IR1 and Visa CR1)

The US citizen/ permanent resident must submit the application form to guarantee their spouse - Form I -130 (Petition for alien relative) at the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). In a specific case, the US citizen living abroad can submit the application form outside the USA.

After USCIS accepted your application form, the form will be brought to the National Visa Center (NVC). The guarantor pays all the fees and conducts the relevant administrative procedures (such as: complete form DS-260, civil documents, Affidavit of Support, financial sponsorship application,...).

The NVC will send the applicant an interview letter in Vietnam. The applicant needs to prepare the documents below:

  1. An interview letter from the Embassy/ Consulate.
  2. A passport is valid for at least 6 months.
  3. An affidavit from the guarantor in the USA - Form I-864.
  4. US Immigrant Visa Electronic Application - Form DS-260
  5. Two photos with 2*2 inch (5*5cm) taken no more than 6 months.
  6. Civil documents (Birth certificate, Marriage certificate, Copy of Passport, Criminal record,...)
  7. Proof of termination of previous marriage (if any)
  8. Health Certification
  9. Receipt of payment of fees
  10.  Other documents at the request of the Consulate 

*Please bring the original papers to the interview. All of your original papers will be returned after the interview.

>> To be instructed contact directly [+84] 1900 6654 - [+84] 906 736 788!  

How long is the processing time?

The processing time for Visa CR1 and Visa IR1 will be different depending on each specific case (such as the guarantor has not met all the conditions, waiting for an appointment to have an interview, ...). 

As usual, the appointment will be arranged after the applicant submitted the documents. After the interview is completed, the processing time will last a few weeks. 

>> Thus, to receive the Visa CR1 and Visa IR1 quickly, applicants need to prepare documents carefully. In case you need support from a US visa expert (consultation, completing documents, monitoring application progress,...), please contact the hotline: [+84] 1900 6654 - [+84] 906 736 788.

Where to submit the application form 

The guarantor who is a US citizen or a permanent resident needs to open a guaranteed file at the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) first. After that, the applicant can apply for Spouse of a US Citizen Visa.

For the applicant who is a Vietnamese citizen and permanent resident, you should prepare the application form for the Spouse of a U.S. Citizen Visa and submit it at:

  • Consulate General of the United States in Ho Chi Minh City: No. 4 Le Duan, Ben Nghe, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
  • US Embassy in Hanoi: No. 7 Lang Ha, Ba Dinh, Hanoi

Immigrant visa service - package service in Vietnam

Nhi Gia has a group of experts with more than 20 years of experience in the legal field. Our staffs have a high knowledge of professional expertise, and a deep understanding of Visa Law, Investment Law - Settlement, Economic - financial field, etc. With these elements, we are proud of supporting more than 1.000 successful cases of settling in the US and other countries.

From there, Nhi Gia is one of the best choices for you to use the Immigrant visa service and apply for the Spouse of a U.S. Citizen Visa following the regulations of the US Department of Immigration.

  • Consult details about the rate of the customer’s application form success.
  • Update the new regulations from the US Department of Immigration.
  • On behalf of customers, complete the documents.
  • Support to consult about all of the legal procedures in the USA after settling.

If you want to use the service or have any questions about settling in the US, contact Nhi Gia directly through:

Nhi Gia Trading and Service Co., Ltd

  • Hotline: [+84] 1900 6654 - [+84] 906 736 788
  • Email: info@nhigia.vn
  • Address: 186-188 Nguyen Duy, Ward 09, District 08, HCMC 
Rating: 5/5 on 500 rating