How to switch from UK Fiance visa to UK Spouse visa (within the UK)

Date Create: 01/02/2023

People who already have owned UK Fiance Visa ( temporary short-term visa) can switch to UK Spouse Visa ( temporary long-term/ immigrant visa) after marriage. This will allow you to stay longer with your partner without leaving the United Kingdom. When successfully applying for a UK Spouse Visa, the applicant is permitted to reside in the UK for 30 months (equivalent to 2 years and 6 months) and can extend the visa as long as there is no change in the relationship. 

>> For details on switching to the UK Spouse visa procedure, please see the instructions below:

Switch from UK Fiance visa to UK Spouse visa

People who own a UK Fiance visa can stay for 6 months from the day they are granted the visa. They can marry their partner who is a UK citizen but they can not work at this time.

If you want to study, work and stay longer in the UK, you must switch your Fiance visa to a Spouse visa (Submit the visa application outside or inside the UK).

If you submit the visa application inside the UK, you must switch the visa status before it expired. The applicant can not stay and will infringe the UK Immigrant Law if the visa expired. 

>> Below is the necessary information about submitting the visa application inside the UK. If you want to know more about submitting the visa application outside the UK, follow at:

Conditions to switch the visa status

Conditions to switch from Fiancé/Fiancée visa to a UK Spouse visa that the guarantor needs to follow

  • Both are 18 years or over
  • Hold a valid Fiance visa in the UK
  • Married to a person who is a UK citizen (or UK resident)
  • Both must intend to live together permanently in the UK after applying
  • Proof of the relationship
  • Meet the minimum requirements for English proficiency, financial proof, etc.

Benefits when switching the visa status

Successfully applying for a UK Spouse Visa, the applicant is allowed to live, work and study in the UK for 30 months (equivalent to 2 years and 6 months) and can extend the visa as long as the circumstances do not change.

After living in the UK for at least 5 years on a Spouse Visa, you can apply for permanent residency in the UK. And carry out the procedures to apply for British citizenship, apply for a British passport and enjoy the benefits of being British citizens.

UK Spouse visa application - Updated 2023

The Spouse visa application includes:

  1. Marriage Certificate
  2. Passport valid for at least 6 months (attach old passport if any)
  3. Certificate of English at A1 level or higher
  4. Proof of both residence
  5. Proof of the relationship 
  6. Financial proof that both meet the minimum income threshold of £18,600/year
  7. Proof of marriage to a UK citizen/settler (can send a copy of your UK spouse's passport)


  • The applicant might be requested to add more papers 
  • All the papers must be notarized and translated into English.

>> To get the correct information about a UK Spouse visa, contact us at [+84] 1900 6654 - [+84] 906 736 788  

Prove the spouse relationship that is genuine

To switch from the Fiance visa to the Spouse visa, the Ministry of Home Affairs tends to focus on your proof of the relationship rather than the other elements.

Both will provide documents to prove they are legally married in the UK in accordance with UK Immigration Law. At the same time, prove to the Home Office that this is a real marriage NOT a fraud for the purpose of illegal immigration to the UK.

Required documents:

  • Marriage Certificate
  • Proof of both living together: rental agreement, utility/tax bill, etc.
  • Papers of joint financial responsibility: joint bank account, mortgage contract, etc.
  • Child's Birth Certificate
  • Proof that you have visited your spouse's hometown
  • Future plans in the UK

Depending on each case, the required papers will be different. If you don’t know which papers are suitable, contact Nhi Gia at [+84] 1900 6654 - [+84] 906 736 788  to get a complimentary consultation with the 20-year-experience experts. 

Processing time of UK Spouse visa (submitting inside the UK)

When applying for this visa inside the UK, the minimum visa processing time is about 2 months (submission outside the UK is about 6 months). However, visa processing may take longer than expected if applicants do not meet the minimum income requirements, have English proficiency, need to attend an interview (if necessary), or have other family circumstances that need review, re-verification, etc.

The fees to apply for this visa

  • Apply from outside the UK: £1,538/application
  • Apply from within the UK: £1,048/application

In case, you want to bring dependents, you will have to pay an additional £1,538 per application if applying outside the UK and £1,048 per application if applying within the UK.

>> To get the details about the fees, contact [+84] 1900 6654 - [+84] 906 736 788

Prestigious Agencies support applying for this visa in HCMC

The procedure for applying within the UK is different from applying outside the UK. The reason for this consequence is that the applicant needs to show proof that he/ she is in an eligible visa-holder country to convert to a UK spouse visa.

After reviewing the application, it may be invited to participate in an interview if the Department of Home Affairs has any doubts. At the interview, the applicant will be asked questions verifying the authenticity of the relationship and the intention to stay in the UK.

Updating documents - Spouse visa processing can be lengthy and difficult for applicants. From there, contact Nhi Gia if you want to discuss any questions with an immigration specialist about your visa application.

Nhi Gia's team of UK visa legal advisors will evaluate documents and accompany you to make sure that your visa application meets UK Immigrant regulations.

To get the consultation, contact:

  • Hotline: [+84] 1900 6654 - [+84] 906 736 788
  • Email: 
  • Address: 186-188 Nguyen Duy, Ward 09, District 08, HCMC
Rating: 5/5 on 500 rating