Do Vietnamese residing abroad can buy houses and lands in Vietnam?

Date Create: 06/02/2023

Based on Article 7 of Law on Housing 2014 and Article 5 of Law on Land 2013, Vietnamese residing abroad can own houses and lands in Vietnam. However, it will have some limits (due to Article 11 of the Law on Vietnamese Nationality) if you are Vietnamese but don’t have any proof document for your Vietnamese nationality.

Do Vietnamese residing abroad can buy houses and lands in Vietnam?

Vietnamese residing abroad are Vietnamese citizens and Vietnamese living & settling abroad. 

Do Vietnamese residing abroad can buy houses and lands in Vietnam? The answer is YES! 

  • Clause 2 Article 7 of the Law on Housing 2014: “Entities eligible for the homeownership in Vietnam is overseas Vietnamese”.
  • Clause 1 Article 186 of Land Law 2013: “Overseas Vietnamese who are entitled to own houses in accordance with the housing law are entitled to own houses associated with residential land use rights in Vietnam”.

Conditions for Overseas Vietnamese to buy houses and land in Vietnam

Although you are eligible to own houses and land in Vietnam, you must meet the conditions below to be recognized as legal owners of the house:

  • To have permit entry into Vietnam (from Clause 1 Article 8 of Law on Housing 2014);
  • “Vietnamese entities who invest in housing construction, purchase, enter into lease purchase agreements, receive gifts, receive inheritance, receive capital contribution, exchange houses, or make other transactions prescribed in regulations of law.” (from Point b Clause 1 Article 8 of Law on Housing 2014).

If you meet the requirement and legally own a house, the Competent Authority of the Government will issue you a Certificate of land use right, homeownership and property on land (quote from Article 9 of Law on Housing 2014).

What papers can prove Overseas Vietnamese are ownership of the house in Vietnam?

Based on Clause 2 Article 5 Decree 99/2015/ND-CP - Guidelines for the law on housing, Vietnamese residing abroad must have documents following the regulations below:

  1. Vietnamese passport: An unexpired Vietnamese passport that bears the entry seal of a Vietnam’s immigration authority; or
  2. Foreign passport:
  • An unexpired foreign passport that bears the entry seal of a Vietnam’s immigration authority 
  • Together with documents proving the Vietnamese nationality
  • Or Vietnamese heritage issued by the Competent Authority abroad or other documents prescribed by Vietnam’s law.

Limits of Vietnamese residing abroad without documents proving Vietnamese nationality

Vietnamese residing abroad can legally own house and land in Vietnam if they meet the conditions and submit the necessary documents. 

However, if you DON’T have any proof documents for your Vietnamese nationality (following Clause 11 of Law on Vietnamese Nationality), you will be:

  • Limited area: Only own houses (including apartments and detached houses) of commercial housing construction projects (based on Clause 1 Article 75 Decree 99/2015/ND-CP);
  • Limited quantity of houses: Only own no more than 30% of the total number of apartments in a building; And no more than 10% of the total number of houses in the project according to specific cases. (see details in Clauses 3 and 4, Article 75 of Decree 99/2015/ND-CP);
  • Limited the ownership time: Own housing for up to 50 years from the date of issue of the Certificate (based on Clause 3 Article 7 Decree 99/2015/ND-CP).


>> Contact hotline [+84] 1900 6654 - [+84] 906 736 788 to have a consultation

To have consultation about the procedure for Overseas Vietnamese in Vietnam

Thus, Overseas Vietnamese will enjoy the same rights to housing and land as Vietnamese in the country if they have all the proof documents as prescribed by the Law. In case, you don’t have documents to prove your Vietnamese nationality, please follow the information below:

  • Documents proving Vietnamese nationality
  • Instruction on registering to determine Vietnamese nationality - updated 2022

If you are Vietnamese residing abroad and have some relevant problems (such as Dual Citizenship, Apply for a passport,...), contact Nhi Gia immediately through:

Nhi Gia Trading and Service Co., Ltd

Hotline: 1900 6654 - 0906 736 788


Address: 186-188 Nguyen Duy, Ward 09, District 08, HCMC

>> Nhi Gia will answer all of your questions and give you the best solution for your case!

Rating: 5/5 on 500 rating